As a member of the GW community, online students are entitled to a GWorld card, which identifies them as a GW student and allows them to take advantage of student discounts.
To receive a GWorld card in the mail, online students should submit their photograph through the GWorld portal. The photograph must meet the following criteria:
- The photograph must be taken in front of a white, beige, or gray background.
- No other people or objects can appear in the photo.
- The photograph must be in color and have sufficient lighting (no shadows).
- The photograph must be a full front view of the head and shoulders only, with your face filling the majority of the frame.
- The student must be looking directly at the camera and facing forward. Side or profile shots will not be accepted.
- The photograph must be taken at close range and clear (not blurry), making the face easily recognizable.
- Do not wear any items including hats sunglasses, or other articles that obstruct the face or head. Religious head coverings are permitted, but the full face must be clearly visible.
Cards will be mailed to the students' current address on file with the university. Online students should ensure their address is up-to-date in the GWeb Info System. Online students can expect to receive their GWorld card within one month of submitting their photograph.
On-Campus GWorld Card
The GWorld card for online students does not provide access to buildings that are limited to members of the GW community, such as the libraries. Online students visiting campus may want a GWorld card that provides building access. They should obtain a new card by visiting the GWorld Card Office, located on the ground floor of the University Student Center, Suite G05.
The following is required:
- A valid US government photograph identification (such as a US Passport, state driver’s license, state identification card, foreign passport with a US Visa, military identification card, or a US government work badge)
- The mailed GWorld card, which must be surrendered
Students must be registered for the semester that coincides with their visit to the GWorld office. The new card will reflect the expected graduation date.